1 When to Start ARV Therapy
- ARV therapy should be offered to all HIV-infected individuals regardless of their CD4 cell count, except elite controllers (pVL consistently <250 copies/mL without ARV therapy)
- It is important to confirm that the patient is ready to commit to life-long therapy with a very high level of adherence
Should my patient start ARV therapy?
- What is the nature of the HIV infection?
- Acute or primary infection
- Chronic infection
- Is the patient symptomatic?
- What is the patient's pVL?
- Consistently <250 copies/mL
- ≥250 copies/mL on 2 consecutive readings
- Start ARV Therapy
- Treatment can be deferred
- Offer ARV Therapy
§ 2 Which Regimen to Start →